Monday, March 29, 2010

Why can’t we choose our religion?

Recently I got a chance to visit a church. A friend of mine got me there. I enjoyed myself there. They kept singing songs to praise Christ. Just like we Hindus sing hymns for our gods. During the whole day a question kept coming into my mind. Why am I a Hindu, not a Christian or a Buddhist?

The answer is simple. My parents are Hindu. I didn’t have mush of a choice when it came to choose my religion. It’s interesting since I did have the freedom of choice in other spheres of life. I could choose my friends, my career, my ideology, the city I live in or my spouse. It’s just that I cannot exercise this power to another very important part of my life – religion.           
Although it doesn’t matter what religion I’m following since God is not partial to a particular community or sect (despite what our priests, maulanas and bishops tell us). As long as I walk on the path of truth, I will have true peace and contentment. But different religions offer different ways to reach the same goal. And we all are different from each other. So it’s not necessary that the same path suits every person.
I may be a born Hindu but the path shown by Buddha can suit me more. I am more logic-oriented and it’s difficult for me to have faith in some god, goddess or son of God. Buddha gives me a meditation technique and suggests me to practice it. I walk the path and I realize the truth.
Whereas many people may not find his path very appealing. They would love to have faith in some great soul and would like to realize the truth by being immersed in devotion for him. They may feel attracted to Christ’s way or Hindu’s ‘bhakti marg’.
A person should choose his religion on the basis of what suits his inclination and individual nature. It’s not necessary that his parents’ religion is the best for him.
So, just like we have the choice of choosing the career which suits us, we should also have the choice of religion which is more favorable to us. It will guarantee a greater success on the path of spirituality. And it will also help in eliminating the fights we have in the name of religion. 

No comments: