Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Silence says so many things


Like many other fortunate ones, I keep getting sarcastic and pinching remarks from people at times.

I don’t know why they do it. Reasons may vary from person to person. Some might be doing it for sheer fun (it's their best way, perhaps!). Some others might be doing it to compensate for some inner lack. Well, many others might be doing it because they don’t have more fruitful habits.

But that’s not the point.

The point is how I react to it. Or rather how should I react to it?

Well, my reaction is never premeditated. I can never expect what kind of remark might be coming, so cannot decide what my definite answer would be.

Sometimes I just get pissed off. Sometimes I give equally sarcastic answer, making sure it pinches in the deeper walls of his heart.

And then just a few times, I give the appropriate answer. A smile with silence.

It works on many levels.

First, this is the kind of reply people don’t expect for their effort at sarcasm. Actually it makes them confused. And I take my little effortless revenge.

Second, people with a little sensibility downloaded in their conscience feel guilty for their remark. Oscar Wilde said, “Always forgive your enemies. Nothing annoys them so much.” Well, maybe he had such people in his mind when he said that.

Third, it shows that you have composure. What can be a bigger power than remaining unaffected by something which was meant to hurt you? You feel good about yourself. You feel strong. You enjoy a cleaner conscience.

Somebody tell me how to react in this way every time rather than just a few times.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great work.